Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Artifact 9

9. “This is the Paris Opera house’s ceiling, which I painted for Andre Malraux, the French minister of art. After seeing my work in 'Daphnis et Cloe', a ballet I made set pieces for in the Paris Opera House, Andrew commissioned me to design the new ceiling. Working with 560 square meters of space, I painted landscapes and figures representing the luminaries of opera and ballet. We revealed the ceiling during the performance of the same show that inspired him to hire me, 'Daphnis et Chloe.' As usual some people had a problem with it calling it overly primitive, but for most is was marvelous. I found this an interesting experience, as it was the first ceiling art I had  completed.
"Chagall’s Ceiling Unveiled." History.com. A&E Television Networks. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment